Summer is here … YAAAAAASS!
and that means it’s time to start querying … NOOOO!!
I can think of only two things worse than querying: the stomach flu and pregnancy (which is one in the same for us lucky few).
Here’s the thing(s):
1. Describing an 86,000-word novel in 200 words is freaking impossible.
2. Rejection letters SUCK. As in, ruin-your-whole-day suck.
3. Crap, I think I forgot to change the default greeting before I pressed send. Again.
4. And is it me, or do all agents have the most difficult-to-spell last names?
5. “Please include a synopsis.” NEXT…
6. “And make sure to say why we would be a good fit.” Umm, because I’m looking for an agent?
7. “Please include the first 5 pages, the first 10 pages, the first 50 pages, the entire MS, the first chapter, the first 5 chapters, till chapter end, not till chapter end…” Need I say more?
8. Do I get docked if I don’t have a blog? a website? twitter? HELP!!
9. [copy], [paste], and … yep, formatting error.
If you have others, please feel free to vent in the comments below. ⇊ It feels really good. 😃
I had the best intentions of having my new YA novel, SMARTS, out by 2019, and though I was finished writing it, the rewrites and additions took a ton of time. But it’s finally done! Here’s the pitch:
Loner high school senior, Alice,
is kidnapped by motorcycle riding bad-boy, Luke,
and his dangerous rebel tribe of Smarts,
a worldwide organization of geniuses.
Uncovering their evil scheme,
Alice’s Smart skills awaken.
so does her heart…
To be honest, I don't ever feel like one of my books is "finished." I just come to a point when I think to myself, If I have to do one more edit I'm going to throw my computer across the room. That's when I know I'm done.
Everyone stay healthy and safe!